relishing summer
I have been having these experiences over the last few days where I feel extremely present to the environment and surroundings about me. Those moments where you can really feel that you are alive.
I was taking a mental health break at work one day when the sun was warm, the air cool from the lake and big, showy clouds floated in the sky above me. As I walked, I paid particular attention to the air grazing my cheeks, my forehead, my lips. The air itself was delicious and I felt like I was absorbing it into a place that was dry. I was driving home last night from one of my favorite get together's of Lake Forest women, "Stitch and Bitch". There is this one stretch through a wooded area in Lake Forest where you can actually drive 50mph and normally I would be riding someone's tail if they were driving anything less. But last night, I slowed down. Not sure why, but I was driving real slow. No other cars to distract from the summer noices coming like a choir from the trees. Stars twinkled and the sky was lovely. I didn't want the woods to end, but alas I hit the Navy base eventually and my experience with the summer symphony came to a close. And then today, I lay in my pink room looking out the lovely leaded glass resting. I started to zone out and before long I was mesmerized by all the greens outside my window. Each leaf seemed to be a window of green catching light from it's own sun. I realized then that my heart was experiencing some premature grief for summer ending and brown returning. But then I changed my perspective and just laid there enjoying the green I have now and not worrying about it leaving me. I will enjoy today and treasure the life I experience this very moment.
I wonder if this is the perspective a dying person experiences knowing their days are numbered. They treasure every experience and moment that comes their way, taking it all in. Air, summer noises, and greens.

1 Comments:
"and brown returning."
OK, some cynical people (oh, no, certainly not me) would point out that the brown returned a *long* time ago during this horrible, hot, humid, dry summer. (I don't know how it can be so humid in the air all of the time and yet so dry and brown and crackly on the ground where grass and happy bushes used to be).
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home