Splicing and dicing...
Some may call this "stealing"; I am calling it "giving a plant a good home".
This last winter I prayed a little, insy-winsy prayer. I prayed that God would somehow get rid of our neighbors to the west of us. They were just bad news and pretty much trashed their home and mutilated their yard. Not to mention, the horrible ways they treated their dogs which were eventually taken away by animal control because they were so neglected. Needless to say, I prayed specifically that they would be evicted because of a foreclosure on their home. Now, many Christians would think this is a horrible way to pray and not like Jesus in the least. But doesn't Jesus pray a prayer of cursing on the fig tree. Well, my prayer was heard, and they were evicted and the home was boarded up. I was glad.
Now, last year I noticed a lovely, but mutilated, lilac bush growing in the corner of their back yard. Upon investigation, I discovered that they had been hacking away at this lovely bush hoping it would just shrivel up and die. But lilac bushes are hardy ones and it lives on. So who is to say that I couldn't give that lilac bush a better home. I would talk to it, care for it, water it and treasure it's blooms.
Well, as I was investigating this lilac bush I discovered some other treasures hiding under all the garbage and debris in the back yard. Some sweet peony bushes popping their head through the cracked soil. Quite a few bulbs..tulips, daffodils and I think, hastas. I even found a wonderful rhubarb plant that I think needs a new home.
This afternoon, as Ivan took care of Audrey so I could put my hands in the earth, I lovingly adopted the peony plants and tenderly deposited them in my circular plot on the corner of my front lawn, where I am sure they will be much happier. Don't you think? I already had about 5 of these plants that I had found on my property last spring, thanks to LoAnn's excellent gardner's eye. So I simply added them to the plot.
My next step is to find an excellent place for that lilac bush.
Hope God doesn't mind me transplanting some of his creation.

2 Comments:
Humm...I think if you take the whole plant away and don't leave anything then, yes, it is stealing. But if you just take a cutting, even a healthy-sized cutting, perhaps it would still be legal?
I can't believe they were hacking away at a lilac bush? Who would DO that? My sorrow this spring is that, while I have seen many lilac bushes, I've not yet been up close and personal to one so I can dig in my nose and inhale the heavenly scent. But I noticed a full-bloom bush on the next block that is close to the sidewalk, so this sorrow shall soon be renewed.
I'm insanely jealous of your garden! Lilacs? And peonies? What could possibly be better? I'm confident that God is pleased that you have adopted his creation into your loving garden. Seriously!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home