Greetings from Los Angeles
Here I am, in a lovely home, with 3 of my closest girlfriends in college, just lingering and talking. Lots of talking. How women love to talk and process and share and connect through words. And there is so much to catch up with over the last year events of each of our lives. I am more and more convinced that I am extremely wealthy in my friends.
And, oh, how I have missed California! There is just something that comes over me when I get off the plane and realize that I am at home with "my people". And then I walk outside and see the different foliage and flowers. Oh, the flowers! If only the midwest could grow all these bright, vibrant and almost tropical flowers. Oh, how I would be happy. And then I go out to lunch with the girls and I remember just how damn good the food is out here. Avocados are a main staple on the menu and everything is fresh and I get french fries seasoned with rosemary and thyme to go with my delicious sandwich. And then we walk for a bit and we just happen to run into the Pacific ocean. Oh, how I miss the ocean. It's smell, it's culture, it's vastness. It is not the same as Lake Michigan, as hard as I have tried to convince myself of it. There is nothing like the ocean.
But, this one thing I know. I still love the midwest more! I love that we have spring time. I love that there is a burst of green after the long, long months of winter. I love how friendly people are and you can easily go up to almost anyone and start a conversation with them and they don't think you are totally weird or rude. (We were on the pier after eating lunch and there were a bunch of guys fishing off the pier. I asked one of them, "What kind of fish do you catch here?" And you would have thought I was asking a very private question.) I love that the midwest is so down to earth and friendly. I love that we have yards and we talk with our neighbors.
And most of all, the thing I love most about the midwest is that my family is there. My roots are there, going deep, growing strong. I love that I have a home to come home to and a husband that eagerly awaits my return.
I am so thankful I landed in the midwest! So glad I stayed.

1 Comments:
I feel this way every time I go back to Arizona.
Spring and fall (and the lure of big city Chicago) are the factors I most often cite when reminding myself of why I live here. Oh, yes, and also that it is the will of God.
I also try to believe that Lake Michigan is a good substitute--though for me it is for the mountains. I convince myself sometimes.
Shanel, this reminds me of something you once told me. In fact, go to this link and read the essay I wrote about it!
http://www.saltsite.com/index.cfm?salt=features.story&aid=216
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home