Sunday, June 11, 2006

Story book time with Coco

I just had the most sweet and delightful time with "Coco-bean", as we affectionately call Audrey these days. We had our first bed time story together. We sat quietly and comfortably in the big overstuffed chair in her nursery. It was still light out since she goes to bed so early (kind of nice). You could hear all the kids in the neighborhood still playing on their bikes and shooting hoops in the driveways.

For one of my baby showers in honor of Audrey, we had a "book giving shower" where everybody brought one of their favorite books from childhood and even adolescence. It was wonderful and now I have a great beginnings of a library for Audrey. So we picked a few books and sat down.

My favorite was a small book (not sure who gave this to me) written in 1964 called, "When I have a little girl". What a silly and fun book. Audrey is more and more talking up a storm, of course in her own language and she is even beginning to sing little melodies. Every week I receive email updates from a website called babycenter.com that gives child development info which is so fun to read. Well, they recently suggested that I start reading to Audrey so she can see and hear my lips, tongue and mouth forming words. Even though she can't really understand what I am reading to her, she will be blessed to hear the words of the book.

Well, wonderful. I love reading and have found that I really enjoy reading aloud to Audrey. So excited to discover all these new stories given to us. And I am more excited to tell Audrey my own stories I make up and the crazy adventure ones of my life. I catch myself praying crazy prayers like, "God, make me an excellent story teller."

As I write, I can hear Audrey in the other room in her swing talking and chattering away. She is supposed to be going to sleep, but I don't mind. Her voice is music to my ears and I think may be one of the most beautiful sounds in the earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home