Sunday, July 02, 2006

Death to all earwigs and cutworms!!

(First off, forgive me for not posting very regularly lately. I have all sorts of stories, ideas and pictures I want to put on here, but have been busy and working a lot last week.)

I have noticed recently that my lovely daliah plants in my planters on the front stoop have been budding and getting ready to bloom their magnificent selves and just as their little petals begin to open some big meanie comes and eats their delicate petals leaving ugly, colorless little stumps. Kind of depressing. I found one of those pincher bugs on it this evening and realized he was the culprit.

Listen to how you kill them. You trap them. You place a tuna can or some short tin can filled with oil, preferably fish oil (yumm) right near the soil right before sunset. I guess the little booger like to eat at night. Then in the morning whatever ones you caught over night you put in a bucket of soapy water to bring them to their demise. Humph!

And then I discovered very quickly that my lovely dill plant was being shredded and devoured, almost like it was the plague. Did a little research and found that cutworms are the culprit. So if you put trail of molasses or crushed egg shells around the paremeter of the plant, they will either get caught in the molasses or be shredded to death by the shells. Hah Hah Hah (that is an evil cackle).

Off to go kill bugs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home