A new song
I just gave up tonight on making/forcing/urging Audrey to sleep. I finally picked her up and took her into our air conditioned bedroom and laid on the bed with her and just cried.
I am weary.
And Audrey is not.
Of course, once I picked her up and laid her next to me she began her playful noises and the reaching for her toes. She eventually started singing this special song that had percussion accompanying it. It went something like this: "High pierced sing-song, kind of cute noises that kind of sound like a bird squawking--to blowing bubbles with her bottom lip and then making farting noises."
It made me laugh.
After about a half hour of her entertaining me and helping me forget my weariness and deep, deep desire to escape this world and go be with Jesus, I put her in her crib, swaddled her real tight, kissed her on the head and told her I loved her, and wouldn't you know? I tip toe out of the room and I hear her making more farting noises with her lips with the pacifier in her mouth.
I smiled again and took a deep breath.

3 Comments:
sh-how i love you and your wise words about honest experiences. -ali
Isaiah 46:4 -- a verse that walks me thru motherhood -- "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Even at 4 in the morning when you're so tired you feel like your eyeballs are being sucked out of your head by a dyson vacuum.
thankful for your heart out there sister -- mjstiles
Ditto and ditto. Shanel, I can so relate to this...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home