Friday, July 07, 2006

Where are the young moms in the neighborhood?

They are around. I am starting to meet more and more neighbors and am thoroughly enjoying myself. Tonight I met Gabriella. I have been getting to know her 3 children and their little friends over the last few months and more recently I met her husband as he stood on our corner waiting for the bus to drop his son off from summer school.

The eldest daughter saw me way down the street as I was watering my plants in the front yard and she yelled, "Hello, Audrey!" She remembered Coco's name. They rode down on their bikes and were chatting with me and they invited me to come meet their mom.

I walked to their home with them and introduced myself to Gabriella and quickly discovered that she doesn't speak hardly any English. Her husband and all of their children except for the youngest are fluent in English. I am more and more encountering this. If I am to be a minister to the women in my neighborhood I better learn Spanish. The task seems daunting and I have no idea where I would find time to learn Spanish.

I guess I shall start with asking the neighborhood kids to teach me different words and phrases. Here is a Spanish word I learned this evening as I sprayed the little ones down with the hose: mojado. Meaning: wet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home