Monday, October 23, 2006

Comfort.

There are just some days where you need more comfort than others.
And boy, do we go searching for comfort.

Places I find comfort:
  • Sleep, sleep and more sleep.
  • A hot cup of tea and a roaring fireplace.
  • Knitting repetitive, mindless stitches.
  • Going for long walks at Lions Woods and taking in the beauty of nature.
  • Turning left on to the Amstutz, as I travel to work in the morning, and catching the breathtaking view of the sun rising over the vast waters of Lake Michigan.
  • McDonald's ice cream cones, especially waiting for the ice cream to melt a little and make the bottom of the cone soggy.
  • My husband's chest and arms wrapped around me; being held.
  • A very hot bath with my body almost entirely submerged under the water with all the lights off in the bathroom.
  • Sitting next to an old friend, cheek to cheek.
  • Cuddly, cozy socks.
  • Raking leaves. Doing dishes. Organizing drawers. [Notice the theme.]
  • Making bread, particulary kneading it and then letting it rise in warm, sunny places.
  • Cuddly kisses from Audrey.
  • Long letters from old friends.
  • Cherished movies, rehearsed and repeated over and over again...good ol' Anne of Green Gables.
  • Remembering.
  • Cheesecake, carrot cake and chocolate cake.
  • Eye contact.
  • Familiar places.
These last few weeks have drained me emotionally. I feel needy, easily tearful and desperate for God. I crave comfort, normalcy and for things to settle down. I long for some ease to the suffering around me. I guess I am weary from walking alongside the suffering and the dying. But I will press on for I know this is not forever and God's comfort is available to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home