The hustle and bustle.
Every year I have grand intentions of pulling off the most amazing holiday season and managing it in such a way that it is stress free, extravagent and full of people and lingering. And every year it all goes wrong. I end up feeling stressed out to the max so that if I accidently slam my finger in the door, obscene things come out of my mouth and I start crying and can't stop. I really need to start preparing for Christmas in October--heck, maybe even September...getting the gift ideas organized, starting to make any hand made gifts that come out of my ever flowing creativity maker, get my Christmas cards organized and assembled--because you know me, I can't send out a generic Christmas card.
Last year, my mom and sister were in town to celebrate Thanksgiving at my home. And let me tell you, it really helps to have some female presence in the house during a holiday. They helped me clean, get organized and decorate for Christmas. It was wonderful. Having a whole month of Christmas decorations and cheer in my home. Well, this year I let Ivan go pick out the tree on his own. And then it sat on the back porch for at least two weeks looking all depressed, bundled up in twine. Finally, Ivan brought it into the house where it proceeded to sit another week unadorned by it's glorious lights and sweet treasures. It wasn't until December 23rd that the Christmas decorations and boxes of lights made their way up the basement stairs and into the dining room. Pathetic, I thought. My brothers in all their 6'2'' and 6'4" glory adorned the tree while I sat on the ground and unpacked my boxes of ornaments. My home began to take that Christmas shape and form by the next day, December 24th and it was simply lovely and breathtaking. My mom put the finishing touches on the Christmas day dinner and all was perfect.
Here is Audrey (with her favorite monkey, of course) helping me sort through the lights to decorate the kitchen, which should always be the first room any house lit up with Christmas cheer.
This is what I call the "Hanukau corner"...blue and white festive lights and blue balls.
The kitchen. Dana always says "less is better". But I beg to differ. I cluttered up the kitchen with wooden ornaments, snowmen and lots of lights.
Ivan and Audrey chilling while mommy bustled around being busy, busy, busy. Which was a big mistake because by the time Christmas was over I realized I had forgotten to slow down and enjoy my little family and just be with them. I am learning. I will do things much different next year. Just imagine by the time I hit 60 how well versed I will be in managing holiday stress.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home