Sunday, May 13, 2007

Ma

Things I love about my mom:
*The crazy way she gets excited about showing me something she is working on or some very amazing find from a thrift store or some silly outfit for Audrey.***The strength of her heart to survive many hard things she has gone through.***Her love of color and the way she will paint any surface some bold and bright color.***The way she wears long, baggy skirts with no underwear on.***How she has a predictable scent and I always know she is around even when she is 2000 miles away (as her perfume lingers on some teddy bear she drenched with patchouli oil.***I love her curly hair and am extremely proud of her for doing the courageous thing of growing out the grey!***In some strange way, I love that she would ask entirely too loud in the grocery store, "Honey, do you need any maxipads?"***I love how artistic my mom is and what an amazing photographer she has become.***I am so proud of her for doing one of the hardest things in her life---sobering up and acknowledging her alcoholism and the impact it has had on those she loves around her.***I love how much she is in love with my daughter and how Audrey is her "little promise".***And more and more, as I have become a mother, I recognize that she has given me so very much. I couldn't do this mothering thing without her model of what it means to nurture, to sacrifice and to love deeply. So thank you, ma. Happy mother's day!

 

 

 

 

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Blogger Melody's Photography Blog said...

Shanel,

I'm so glad you pointed out the grocery store comment. I couldn't read that post quick enough, because if it wasn't there, I was going to remind you here. I still tell my friends about that moment. I still laugh about it too, and I too am thankful for that moment!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home